Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Sauteed Kale and Leeks over Rice

Ben and I came home last night, our first lot of subscription produce in hand, wondering what to do for dinner. We were both ravenous, so the idea of investing time and effort into our food before getting to the eating part wasn't a fun one. I start Googling. I discovered Colcannon, a traditional Irish dish that incorporates kale and leeks with potatoes (which we still have in abundance). It looked interesting, but it wasn't quick and easy enough for our voracious hunger.

I begin to think. I figure, kale is kind of like chard, right? A couple months ago, Ben brought home some chard which was delicious when sauteed. And leeks are just like giant green onions; that seems like something you could sauté too. I thought this just might be the kind of easy we were looking for. Searching for guidance I found this recipe

Here's how I did it:
  • Following the linked recipe, I omitted the onions and garlic and substituted the sliced white and light green parts of 3 leeks. This was sauteed with the chopped bunch of kale (about 4 big leaves) in olive oil over medium heat for just over a minute.
  • For the steaming part, I opted to use 1/2 a cup of water rather than veggie broth; and only had it covered for barely 4 minutes.
  • Then we drained the kale and put it in a bowl, tossed it with 1 capful of lemon juice (maybe 1/2 a teaspoon?) and lightly seasoned it with salt and fresh ground pepper.

Ben had the foresight to put some rice in the cooker while we were messing about with all that. The kale, cooked down and served out over rice, made just two servings. Perfect. Ben gave his a few drops of Sriracha, which worked well, but I think the flavor of everything stands up great on its own too.

Simple, quick, yummy, and healthy. I count this as our first produce subscription success.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Suzy, what is Sriraka? I get so frustrated when I find a good reciped that refers to things that I don't know what they are, don't know where to get them, and probably can't find them in Dayton Oh anyway!